Monday, March 9, 2009

CHEVROLET WIRELESS VAN (AKA "GEORGE")


George Smith (deceased 2000) was a prospector who lived for many years on the outskirts of Southern Cross, Western Australia. George was a returned ex POW from WW2 of the 2/28 btn of the 9th Division, having been wounded and captured at Ruin Ridge 27th of July 1942.


Soon after the war George purchased an ex army Chev Blitz signals van which he used as his mobile home while prospecting in the Yilgarn Goldfields. This van could be regularly seen on Three Boys Hill on the outskirts of the Southern Cross township until due to failing health in 1990, George took up residence in one of the council units for the elderly.


I had kept in contact with George over many years as I was interested in Blitz trucks and had several of my own. When I heard George had purchased the local ambulance and moved into a unit I approached him to purchase the Blitz which he agreed to do. I kept the Blitz under cover until 2008 when my wife Sandy and I heard of the trip that Lang Kidby was organizing to Normandy. It was then a panic to restore the signals van as this was the ideal vehicle for the trip, not too big but big enough to camp in as this was going to be an all camping trip driving through seven countries including ferrying the vehicles down to Crete and across to Italy.


We are the only ones from WA as the other 15 vehicles are coming from the Eastern States and NZ. These consist of Jeeps, Dodges, Chevs, a Ford, Studebaker truck and a Harley Davidson motor cycle.


The Chev Blitz was, as mentioned earlier, a signals van of which well over a 1000 were built in Australia from 1942 to 1943. These vehicles used running gear supplied by General Motors of Canada and bodies that were made at Woodville in Adelaide SA and were assembled in the various states at the GMH assembly factories. George’s Blitz was assembled at GMH in Mosman Park WA in 1943 and was used by the 5th Division which was stationed between Guildford and Geraldton when an invasion was thought to be imminent.


I started the restoration in May 2008 and I had it licensed by December of the same year. It was stripped down to the last nut and bolt and was very consuming, thankfully I had a patient partner as I was not doing my share of the home jobs and the help of a brother-in-law for the interior woodwork of the van body.


I have named the Blitz "George" in memory of George Smith and I feel he would have been pleased that his old truck was still on the road and it is a pity he did not see it restored. I would have liked to travel to see the North African war sites (Libya and Egypt) where George was captured but it is not safe to travel in these countries today.



Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment